Sunday 27 March 2016

The Sunday Natter: It's Easter, Just Treat Yourself!


Easter Sunday, an excusable time to bombard your body with as much refined sugar as possible in the form of chocolate eggs and bunny shaped candy (also this year a time to complain about the loss of one hour's sleep and rejoice at the lighter nights, but that's a different story). Although I wasn't entirely sure how, I was determined to incorporate the topic of Easter into my blog somehow and as it so happens to fall when I feel the need to up my chatty levels, a general, light-hearted, flippant, and a little bit of a personal chat it will be.

It doesn't matter how hard I try to remain healthy, during a period of chocolate filled supermarket shelves, fantasising new flavours, recipes and my favourite confectionery being moulded and created into one heavenly masterpiece, my plans will inevitably fail. I live a reasonably healthy lifestyle, make sure I drink enough water and consume my daily amount of fruits and veggies; the only problem being, my sweet tooth is often uncontrollable. Lately, however, I've been super strict with my dormant mind and have been taunting myself to the core, and now I feel I can't even enjoy a treat without feeling guilty to the point I may cry. 

A couple of days ago I decided to step on to the scales for the first time in ages; I felt great, my tummy was reasonably flat, I wasn't completely disgusted with what I saw looking back in the mirror... that was until I noticed the display and I faced a horrifying switch over in my abhorrence. Turns out it was a very, very bad idea for my self-esteem. In the past month or so I've managed to gain 7 pounds, despite exercising when I can and sticking to a moderately clean routine. Now, I'm not sure what I've done wrong, whether there's other factors that have contributed towards the increase (medication I'm glaring at you) but what I do know is, I've had this awful cloud of sorrow above my head and with Easter popping by to say hello, it couldn't have come at a worse time.

It's so easy to neglect our minds when it comes to our bodies, what with the airbrushed models in magazines, the incredibly fit hot Instagrammers and latest 'miracle' diets. In today's culture, we're constantly told what's right and wrong for us, have enforced beauty and lifestyle conceptions and are regularly under competition, even if we don't feel like we are. No matter how much we strive, there'll always be someone we believe is better until we accept the fact you are you for a reason, you find your comfort spot, stop comparing yourself to others and realise everybody is different, and that's what I want to concentrate on for not only my future, but for the regular thoughts that I'm sure pass your mind on a daily basis when you're considering whether or not to raid the biscuit tin (or at least, I hope so). 

Sometimes I forget I'm only human, I'm bound to have setbacks and I need to work on telling myself it's okay to be caught up in a backtracking circle. I don't believe you have to restrict yourself completely of the little things in life that you love to indulge in. I want my attitude towards my food intake to change, I don't want to be miserable when I'm partaking in the most natural form of mankind. We should be able to enjoy food, and you should be able to do it without depriving yourself or deliberately putting yourself down. It's all about the balance, having a day of demolishing all kinds of favoured snacks won't do you any harm, nor will it mean all your hard work is undone or you'll instantly pile the weight back on with one bite (even if in my case, with my apparent slow metabolism, it feels like just sniffing the Nutella jar will make you gain weight). Becoming too hung up and obsessed with every detail of your food choices isn't healthy and you'll actually realise it will help in the long run as you're allowing that freedom instead of pushing regret. Think of it this way, if you were to look back on your life would you feel remorse at rejecting that Mars Bar and still hating yourself or would you mourn over the lost potential of your confidence and state of mind? It's okay to break your diet, hey go all out and rampage your kitchen if you want to, or stay as you are if you don't feel the hoard of sweetness is suitable to you. It has to be your own choice.

I've been in a slump since I stepped on the scales but I think today is the day I step out of it. In my own time and at my own pace, I'll reach the place I aim to be and in the meantime, I will savour the privilege of treats. The waistline can wait, it's Easter, have some fun, pig out, don't dwell on it and don't let the over pushed standards stop you. You may be bloated and sluggish but you can always start again come next week. You're more than just a number on the scale, I need to remember that and so do you.

Have a lovely Easter, guys and lavish in the rest of your bank holiday! 

Bridie x

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig