Sunday 23 November 2014

Style: How to rock the smock

Smock dresses and swing dresses, the two kind of dresses that you either lust over or try and avoid. When it comes down to it, I'm a bit of both; I love the simpleness of the designs and cut and they're so easy to wear but then again, I tend to automatically think if I picked that dress to wear today, it would do me no justice. The stereotypical presumption for smock dresses is lifeless and unflattering as they don't really have a 'shape' to them but I think it's all in the way you style them which will influence the way you carry them off. Smock dresses are also often associated with summer, being light, flowy and comfortable they are the perfect choice but I believe you can turn any item (apart from the obvious beach wear) into a versatile piece for the autumn/winter, it's all about the detail and the accessories you pick to enhance.

OUTFIT 1
Dress - Missguided | Hat - Primark | Scarf - Zara | Boots - H&M

This has to be one of the most favourite dresses I own, the navy blue colour with basic printed daisies opens out the options on how to style it. As you can see, I've paired it with a chunky camel scarf (possibly the most comfiest scarf I've ever purchased), a camel coloured hat and some light beige ankle boots. Matching all the 3 add ons with a similar shade of brown makes it the ideal Autumn inspired outfit.

Dress - Ever Ours (old) | Coat - Primark | Boots - Forever 21 | Hat - H&M

Mixing a monochrome floral dress with a pastel coloured coat is a clever way of injecting more colour into your wardrobe and allowing the pattern to still stand out even though you've added a layer to keep you nice and toasty. Although the cuffed sleeves appear too pretty to cover up, the mid section of where the smock dress gathers can still pay the chief compliment to your outfit.

Dress - Primark | Gilet - Dorothy Perkins | Boots - Primark | Hat - H&M

I have cheated here as this is more of a swing dress but it still doesn't hold much shape to it which makes wearing it alone that little more risky. Gilet's are always my answer to a problem, you can wear them over almost anything and it will give you that wintery feel. Black on black is my favourite combination, fluffy black garments on top of a sixties inspired dress makes it even better. I don't know why it works so well, I just love the way the gilet makes the dress look more a-line to my figure.

Dress - Ever Ours (old) | Shoes - Primark | Coat - Primark | Hat - Primark 

Sticking with the hat and the brown toned colour chart theme, I turned a Spring like dress into a dress which is fit for all seasons. The light beige colour to this dress was a major advantage, the beige/camels shades are my most adored and I have so much variety when it comes down to garments I can pair it with. The gorgeous rose embroidery is the main focus and I didn't want to step away from that, so throw on an almost identical coloured coat and a fedora and you're good to go.

Are you a lover of smock/swing dresses? Which is your favourite outfit out of the 4?
Share:

9 comments

  1. You look fab in all of these. I love the dogtooth dress, can't believe thats from Primark. Is it current season?
    Sammie
    www.littleblondelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These outfits are fab, love your style!!

    New Sunday post on lb-lc fashion blog
    WIN a CAPE COAT HERE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that second dress, it's gorgeous, and that blue coat is amazing! I love this style.

    Jess xx
    http://thelittlethingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really do rock these! I particularly love the last outfit! :D

    Rags of Love-Alternative London Fashion and Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're obsessed with those hats, and the last dress is gorgeous!

    M + K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, this is so inspiring! Love your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these outfits... you look gorgeous in all your pictures!!

    www.chionebrasiliahardy.blogspot.co.uk

    Chione XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great post, loved all the outfits! I was contemplating buying a smock dress off ASOS the other day but wasn't sure it would look right on me, this post has persuaded me to give it ago!

    www.thebeautymonologue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig