Saturday 4 July 2015

Beauty: a summer glowing makeup look


Throughout the summer, I love to have that natural gleam but having only just adjusting to the odd highlighting and contouring here and there, I'm still learning. I have moved up in the world in terms of beauty products and I'm finding myself coveting the higher end brands purely because I love the quality upon my face. I'd be lying if I said I stretch far beyond my means in the makeup area because truthfully, I'm boring and tend to stick to the safe smokey eye and basic bronzer. However, this warm weather has got me craving a subtle, nude eye with shimmery, glowing cheeks and a pink lip which is why I collected all my new bits and bobs together (along with some old favourites) to create a playful mix up of my usual routine.



Although all this holiday stress is starting to show in my dull skin and dark under eyes, a good primer, base and concealer can resolve the issue the best it can (which in my case can only do so much justice until a hella' good filter arrives on the case). Starting with my under layer, I applied the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, a new addition to my makeup collection but one I've been missing out on. It gives the ultimate smooth complexion successfully ridding of any prominent pores and blemishes. Next, I followed on with the Jane Iredale Glowtime Mineral BB cream, I swapped to this after some expert advice at a previous blog event and haven't looked back since. My skin has shown great improvement since using a mineral BB cream, I do still get the odd spot (as you can see one unexpectedly popped up on my chin) but it tends to be much clearer and controllable. This BB cream has the coverage of a brilliant foundation but feels less heavy on the skin. With the SPF, it does have a shiny finish but the more satin kind, not the horrible oily kind. It brings your skin alive for the adventurous summer months. 

Once that is done, I then focus on the cover up, using my trusty Bobbi Brown Corrector to erase any blue-toned patches underneath and around the eye area. Still being on the subject of concealer, I then use the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer on any visible marks, spots, red patches or blemishes and blend in carefully. I feel this is definitely the best concealer on the drugstore market and this is the one preventing me from falling victim to all high end! Once the base is complete, I then powder with Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Pressed Powder which is the perfect combination of setting your face  with some extra non-colour changing coverage whilst maintaining that natural radiance. 


Next is the focal point in this formation, and that's the eyes. This is the first time I've practised combining all four shades in my MAC palette but I'm happy with how it turned out. With the Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush I applied Satin Taupe directly over the lid, the most gorgeous cool toned starter base shade, then using my Real Techniques Shading Brush, I blended from side to side along the crease with Naked Lunch and All That Glitters in the outer corners to bring out that shimmer. Then using my Real Techniques Angled Shadow Brush, I highlighted above the mixture of colours and in the inner corners with Shroom. To then balance the match of tones, I brought out my barely used Stila In The Light Palette and reached for Bliss and Sunset to fix a stronger rose colour but not too in your face pink completion to the look. All the shades were then buffed with my Zoeva Luxe Soft Crease brush to make a whirl of colour.

For the brows I stuck to the natural look again and groomed each eyebrow as equally as possible with my MAC Gelcreme in Dirty Blond and my Zoeva Wing Liner brush to trace the hair into structure. As I'm becoming more expertised in winged eyeliner, I swiftly added a fine line of my favourite Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner as the fully formed pointed tip is always a winner for my desired eye creation. I then finished off with my number one mascara, Maybelline Lash Sensational for an intense noticeable cat eye flutter of the lashes. 

Moving further down the face to the cheeks to achieve that flushed definition, I used my brand new Kiko Masterpiece Bronzer which not only looks beautiful but is also beautiful once applied to the skin. It's nice and gentle, just the right amount of golden to give you that sun-kissed glow and when paired with my Zoeva Sheer Cheek Brush sits on the shadows of the cheekbones to develop a natural contour. I also lightly dust the bronzer in the famous 3 shape under my chin and around my forehead and nose where the light would naturally hit. On top of the bronzer, I then pat in a sweep of the Mary Lou Manizer Luminizer in a triangle shape underneath my eyes, along my jawline, higher cheekbone and along the bridge of the nose. The stunning champagne shade makes the ultimate difference to brightening up your complexion. To then add a lighter illumination, on my brow bone and at the sides of my nose, I then use my Kiko Radiant Touch Highlighter Stick as the creamy formula makes it easier for me to reach those sparse parts. Wanting to be flushed but not too I-represent-Tinkerbell like I then finish off with the Sleek Blush in Rose Gold to match the softer tones and make my face pop. I adore this blush and think it's suitable for any decided makeup look! Plus, you don't need to pile it on as it's so pigmented. 

Finally, I slide over my lips with the Lord & Berry Lipstick Pencil in Intimacy which is the loveliest vibrant nude/pink and reminds me of the NARS lip crayons with the creamy formula. The pencil style makes shaping the lips a simpler task and the lasting power is fantastic. It can be used with a lip pencil to be more precise but I think this alone is just as effective.

Phew, and we're all done. Typing this seemed to give the impression this was harder than it looked but actually, it's a simple everyday look with a dramatic effect. What products do you rely on to glow?

Bridie x
Share:

2 comments

  1. You look stunning and the whole make up look is gorgeous. The Mary Lou Manizer is amazing for adding some extra glow to the skin x

    www.pintsizedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love a natural gleam! You look gorgeous and your photography is beautiful! I am addicted to the bobbi brown corrector and that Lord and berry lipstick pencil looks stunning!
    Sarah xxx www.whatsasssays.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig