Saturday 5 April 2014

March favourites


So here we are again, well into a new month when the previous month seemed to have skipped by without acknowledgement. I can't believe how fast March went, it seemed to be a complete whirl full of variable rollercoasters! The crazy month of March meant I didn't have time to buy that many new products but I hadn't done a favourites post since November last year (how extremely slacking of me!) and I felt as though I needed to update my list to some current beauty favourites that have made their way into my everyday lifestyle lately. 

La Tweez Pro Illuminating Tweezers | £15*

The first thing I wanted to show you is completely random but worth talking about. My Grandma got back from her holiday a week or so ago and as well as bringing back a healthy, glowing tan that makes me feel like a milk bottle, she also very kindly brought me back a gift that she picked up on the plane. At first glance, I wondered how the hell it worked and what its purpose was but ever since I looked into the details, it's been a little miracle worker. As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to get my eyebrows up to a higher standard and I am always in favour of anything that helps to achieve that look. I don't have big brows so I never have to pluck vigorously but these tweezers are amazing for reaching those pesky, tiny hairs that prevent you from having your desired shape and arch. The tweezers come with an auto switch LED light in the centre, as well as a case and a mirror which is not only super magnifying, but is the perfect length and width to focus on only your eyebrow when using. The packaging is quite unusual and you wouldn't think eyebrow tweezers would be placed in there which is what contributes towards my love for these; they are so handy to carry around in your handbag and fold away simply without complication. I have to admit I'd never heard of anything like this before but I'm so glad I discovered them, I use them every time I want to pluck my eyebrows and even day to day when I realise I still have unwanted hairs there. The LED light and the mirror are powerful enough for you to see every hair much closer than you would see and easily miss when looking in a normal mirror and you don't have to spend a long time catching the tip of the hair as these tweezers have a firm grip and are not too sharp around the edges.

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water | £3.33

This product has taken the blogosphere by storm and when my L'Oreal 3 in 1 Micellar Solution ran out, I decided I wanted to try it out for myself. I have to say, after only just a few uses I prefer this to the L'Oreal one. The main reason being in the pretty packaging, the huge size for a reasonable price and the fact the liquid is dispensed at the cap which allows you to control how much you'd like to pour, unlike the L'Oreal Micellar Water that often spilt everywhere and meant you had to waste a good quarter full of the bottle. When I first heard of  Micellar Water I was unsure as I didn't know how effective it would be for cleansing my troublesome face but I haven't looked back since. I love how gentle they are on the skin, they have no harsh chemicals and with a few swipes of a cotton pad, they instantly melt the makeup and stubborn grime away from your face. This is certainly no different, it is just like using pure water to cleanse apart from the fact it is more beneficial for purifying entirely. It doesn't have a fragrance which I like as it feels more natural and my complexion is left feeling refreshed and soothed after using it. I have been using this in place of my L'Oreal solution which was used as a base cleanse before I cleansed with a wash and cloth. However, I also use this when I'm feeling a little lazy and it does the job of removing any traces of makeup and dirt without leaving my skin irritated and dull like it often does when I don't stick to my skincare routine. An added bonus to this is the solution not leaving any residue or grease behind which can often be problematic for me. All in all I am really happy with it and I think I will stick to this one in the future.

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Elusive | £7.99

I have broken the mighty rule in my photo taking routine which is 'do not use the product until you have photographed it' but I couldn't help myself, I had to try it as soon as I bought it and it's all I've worn since. I picked this up in the mighty famous 3 for 2 at Boots when the deal was on at the beginning to the middle of March. The dynamic range of colours in the Matte Balm collection make it a tough decision to make but in the end I went for the natural pink shade 'Elusive' which I tend to often jump for. This lip balm in terms of packaging reminds me of the Clinique Chubby Sticks but I can't compare the two as I have never tried the chubby sticks. However, I am sure this a great dupe; with what I'm going by I can't give it anything but praise. The lip balm is extremely moisturising and it matifies the lips even within the first use. It is ideal for dryer lips too as it gives your lips a boost in softness and smooth appearance. The balms are highly pigmented, you don't need to apply a lot to notice the tint and it shows the brightness of the colour right away. I love how versatile this colour is, I have been wearing it on the colder days but also on the sunnier days when I have managed to make myself look a little prettier and less, well, wintery? The lasting power is also great for a drugstore product, It manages to stay on for a good proportion of the day and I only really need to reapply if I've eaten a big meal and/or drank a large volume of drink.

Rimmel Stay Matte Primer | £5.99

This is another product I picked up in the 3 for 2 at Boots and oh my god, I couldn't be more thankful of my discovery of one simple staple item than I am for this. I am fairly new to primers so I don't have much knowledge on which ones are the best and which ones don't work so well but this fits my expectations perfectly. This has currently taken the place of my Tea Tree Pore Minimiser which I mentioned in a previous post of mine as I feel this benefits the appearance of my makeup more. For some reason, I tend to react badly to Rimmel products and I can suffer with breakouts from them which I was dubious about when reaching for this but thankfully this hasn't given me any irritation what-so-ever and I only have positive words for it! The primer can be worn alone or under makeup, I've been using it as a base for my foundation and I've found it works best this way. I apply a small amount of this white, creamy based oil free formula all over my face and I allow it to settle for 5 minutes to prepare for my foundation. It sinks into the skin beautifully and there is no greasiness left behind. The thing I love the most about the primer is it's so lightweight and doesn't make your skin feel heavy like some primers can. It doesn't have that wet, slippery feeling to it when applying to the face, it is more like a quick drying lotion and you definitely don't need to cake your face in it as it spreads evenly. As soon as I started using this, I saw a difference in the smoothness of my complexion; it not only leaves my complexion soft to feel but makes it look silky smooth and more radiant. It hides my visible pores and I find it does a wonderful job of covering my blemishes when topped with foundation if I add a little more on to those certain areas. My foundation glides on so well now without leaving any patches and this primer makes it easier for me to blend my foundation and concealer with my brushes. As you may know, I have very oily skin and that's the main contributor towards my makeup sliding down my face and making my skin look horrible. This is the answer to all my problems! It shifts the pesky sheen and shine and keeps my entire makeup in place for pretty much the whole of the day. I've been wanting to find something like this for so long! It's satisfying to see an even, more sleek face when looking in the mirror now and it's actually given me the chance to be more confident. I now feel as if I have the flawless, porcelain skin that is everyone's wish (I know I haven't got that skin but when using this it feels close to reaching that point!). 

Collection 2 in 1 Top Coat | £2.99

There's not much I can say about a top/base coat nail varnish but the fact this is a 2 in 1 is the reason it's made its way into my favourites of this month. I do like my nails to be painted but sometimes it's too much effort to do it everyday. Using this as just a clear nail varnish to boost the shine and sparkle has become my new 'thing' but the fact I can also use this as a top coat for when I fancy painting makes it better. My nails seem to be stronger whilst using this too, they haven't broke in a while and have grown to a satisfactory length which is always a bonus!

L'Oreal Paris Volume Supersizing Spray | £3.79

I have only used this a couple of times throughout the month as I tend to use it when I have curled my hair to give it that extra 'oomph' but I'm really impressed with how it works. The spray goes on the same way as hairspray would but it doesn't leave a sticky texture. It is more of a lightweight spray with a lovely scent that is to be sprayed at the roots of the hair from the correct distance. When spraying, I also use my hands to ruffle through my hair at the top. This way, it gives me the volumized look I desire. I'm always so paranoid with my hair as it can often look quite flat but a spray of this always finishes of my finalised style. I also love how large the bottle is, it will last me a long time!

Upon finishing this post I've only gone and realised I haven't included the main product I've been absolutely loving lately which is the Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Oily/Combination Skin (damn me and my forgetfulness!) but as I do have quite a mouthful of opinion regarding this product, I will do a separate review post on this asap (which is probably for the best as I've rambled enough in this post as it is).

Do let me know if you've tried any of these products and what you thought of them and feel free to give me some recommendations from your own favourite list! Have a lovely weekend :)

Share:

8 comments

  1. I really want the L'Oreal hairspray, everybody says its amazing! Also want the Garnier Micellar face thingy because, again, I've heard so many things about it. I really need to go shopping to buy these, since they're both within my price range!:)x

    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to try the Garnier water as I didn't like the L'Oreal one, but I didn't get it because L'Oreal own Garnier (fun fact) and they're run by the same people so I presumed they'd be similar. If you say you prefer the Garnier one there must be a diffference, so I'll have to pick it up! Phew- that was a long winded comment! Xx

    Beauty Soup | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I never knew that, you learn something new everyday haha! I definitely do prefer the Garnier though, it has that extra something that L'Oreal never had. It feels much better on the skin! xo

      Delete
  3. Everyone has been raving about that Garnier water so i will be purchasing that!. Love your blog :) xo
    madabout-beauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm after a good hair spray and that L'Oreal stuff looks great!!!
    I love micellar water at the moment too, its so gentle on the skin!


    Stevie
    VintageAndVans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bridie I hope you're having a lovely day I love your blog & I've decided to nominate you for the Liebster Award congratulations Asia xo

    http://asiajade1996.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for nominating me :) I shall check out your Liebster Award post right away! xo

      Delete
  6. The Stay Matte Primer is On My Wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig