Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Charlotte Tilbury Vintage Vamp Palette: A Red Toned Makeup Look


I enjoy make-up. My expensive tastes are arising which means I don't always have access to the cosmetics I've saved in the note section of my phone from the influencing vloggers but experimentally enjoying make-up and aiming to improve my amateur skills is a canon fact. My everyday make-up usually consists of the same products, maybe an eyeshadow colour switch up here and there but ultimately, I'm a plain Jane throughout the week. That's why when on the extremely rare occasion I go out, I like to up the glam level and really spend time making an effort; bring out the high quality stuff and feel a million dollars (opposed to the trashy look I'd secretly like to be rocking whilst sat at home in my pjs).


There's nothing like a staple red to set off a certain make-up theme, it's the traditional colour that just about anyone can pull off. I know some can hide away from the boldness but for me, it's very wearable and brings out my pale complexion and blue in my eyes. With me just getting my hands on the beautiful Charlotte Tilbury Vintage Vamp palette, finally purchasing MAC Ruby Woo and pulling out an open shoulder red dress for party celebrations, it was inevitable that I'd choose to work my appearance round these three inanimate objects. I don't often photograph my face but I was originally planning and hoping to bring more beauty to my blog and when SMEi got in touch to inform me of their Create The Look Competition it was the perfect excuse to find inspiration and get creative. After-all, although I'm no expert, everyone's in with the same chance, right? So, without further ado, I'll tell you how I achieved this glowing meets fiery look. 


Starting off with the base I used the latter end of my Smashbox Photo Finish Primer to even out my skin and help with the build up of oil as I find this product is the most reliable in providing a smooth, velvet feel that lasts for the period of a night out. I've been struggling with heavy breakouts over the past few months so decided to ditch the foundation and switch back to BB Cream. Ever since I discovered Jane Iredale Glow Time (in shade BB5) at a blog event I was hooked. It gives the full coverage a build-able foundation would deliver but with the natural minerals that are more gentle on sensitive skin. I applied this with my Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge and followed on with the last of my Bobbi Brown Corrector and Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer (a combo that is an absolute saviour for daunting dark under eye circles and any pesky blemishes) - setting this all with my Seventeen Miracle Matte Pressed Powder.

For the brows I've moved over from my usual MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme, to the popular ABH Dipbrow Pomade in the shade taupe; a transition that at first proved difficult with my sparse hairs and oddly grown shape but what worked out well in the end. Once that was done, it was time to focus my attention on the eyes, paying close attention to detail...


Before I started anything, I primed with a sample of the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion which I absolutely love. Using the Charlotte Tilbury Vintage Vamp Palette alone along with a neutral matte from my Naked Palette and a Kiko Cream Crush Eyeshadow in shade 01 to finish off, I began by applying the matte powder all over the lid and up into the brow bone, layered with the shimmer prime shade of the CT palette for a settled base. Then, taking a brush of colour from the enhance shade of the CT palette, I dusted a pop of colour into the outer corner, slowly blending and increasing the hues, then repeating this for the inner corner to achieve the halo precision. Whilst doing so I took the same brush into the crease to outline and slowly pulled into the v shape of the outer corner. With a tapered brush I took the darkest smoke shade to sharply compliment the outer corner and achieved this with a gradient style; a subtle, lighter colour in the centre, working my way to a deeper colour in the very far corner. Once again I did the same for the inner corner and this time spread from the upper lid to the lower lash line with a pencil brush, complete with a tip of the prime shade aligning into the middle of the lash line. With a fresh space in the centre of my upper lid, I used my fingers to dab the pop shade of the CT palette, mixed with the Kiko Eyeshadow for the last bit of extra glitter and used a small (damp) brush to apply the glitter faintly into the tear duct corner. I also used a clean fluffy brush during and after appliance to fuse harsh lines and keep it soft. I've just about got the hang of a sturdy blending technique and it's super easy to create a defined eye by going with the flow to attain the desired result. 

I stopped using liquid eyeliner on a regular basis purely because I'm too lazy on a morning but for that charming cat eye I think winged eyeliner is always necessary. The Stila Stay All Day Liner is my go to product for making life simpler in the eyeliner department! As is my trusty Lash Sensational Mascara to add great length and separated volume to my already long lashes - so of course, they were my immediate choices.

Going back to the skin now, I used my NARS Creamy Concealer in Custard combined with my E.L.F Undereye Concealer and Highlighter to contour and highlight under my eye, onto the upper cheekbone, in a triangle shape between my brows, above my cupids bow and along the pivot of my chin and using my damp Real Techniques Sponge I blended the two entirely which instantly radiated the key areas. In an L shape along my lower cheekbone, top of forehead, chin and jawline I seamlessly contoured the rest of my face with both contrasting shades of my Illamasqua Sculpting Duo using a pair of Zoeva angled and flat brushes - finalising with the LA girl Concealer in Beautiful Bronze along the bridge of my nose and the lighter E.L.F concealer through the centre. To fulfil that healthy glow, I used a fan brush to lightly cover my face in the NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder, bronzed my cheeks with my highly pigmented KIKO Masterpiece Bronzer and highlighted the sculptured bones (brow bone and cheek bone) with the gorgeous Topshop Glow Pot and just a smidgen amount of my Mary Lou Manizer brushed over the top to emphasise the brightness.

And FINALLY (honestly, I don't think you realise how much make-up you own/wear until you have to write a step by step tutorial down in words, yikes!) I used an Illamasqua Lip Pencil in Lust to define my lips and balance out the creamy to matte texture with MAC Ruby Woo - a standard, versatile red - smothered all over the lips as the main, stand out feature. It's hard to capture the full intensity of the look with the lack of professional lighting and using only a camera but I hope you get an idea of what I was trying to achieve. It probably seems like a lengthy process but actually it should only take you about half an hour. Well worth it!


What's your go to evening look?

Bridie x

P.S. if you want to give my photo a like on their Facebook page, you can do here:
(thank you if you do, it would be very much appreciated!) 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig