Sunday 12 April 2015

The Sunday Natter: staying motivated in blogging


As bloggers, we all know how much of a roller coaster ride this hobby and/or occupation can be. There's times we we're full of enthusiasm, tons of ideas are sparked up and put to work, but then there's the days where you're feeling completely unmotivated and tired, as though you're stuck in a never resolving rut and it feels like you're going nowhere. Feeling like you just want to give it up does happen, it's normal and most probably healthy in order for you to grasp that balance but it's finding those pick me ups which proves difficult. 

For me, this week has been one of those weeks. I'm only just starting to feel human again after a viral illness struck me without warning. Not only have the troublesome germs wiped me of all energy, they also seem to have taken all my desire of blogging on the road to sneezing and stomachache along with them. Maintaining my interests and willingness has gone for a burden over the past few days. I haven't felt like posting or planning at all this week and I don't know whether that's because I've been under the weather and all I craved was my bed or because it's becoming more clear how challenging and time consuming blogging can be. I'm not sure what's wrong nor what's happened to my optimistic outlook but I suppose you don't always have to have a specific reason as to why you're feeling disheartened. I'm aware how common these (usually over dramatised) moods are but it starts becoming a problem when you're frustrating yourself with the inability to keep up with content. I adore blogging and everything that comes with it but I always feel like I'm letting not only myself, but my readers down. It's hard to keep pumped without little to no progression but it's also helpful to remind yourself of the reasons you're doing what you're doing which is why, for today's post I thought I'd list the ways I try and stay motivated. It's hopefully for the benefit of you but it's also an ideal post for me to have in hand (or should I say in view) for when I need another boost.

Find inspiration | one thing I find helps more than anything is seeking influence from all kinds of aspects. Whether that be reading your favourite blogs, flicking through the latest magazines, browsing Pinterest or Instagram and collating a little group of  things that deserve a heart eye emoji, or even remembering the real world - stepping away from the internet which can sometimes be overwhelming and exploring the latest trends and attitudes through your very own lens.

Appreciate and build on the little wins | it's good to pick out and remind yourself of the achievements you're most proud of and it's even better to make a comparison of where you are now to where you started. From the writing content, the imagery and the quality - I don't think you quite realise the immense change until you have it right in front of you. Even looking back on comments or emails which made you smile and were the sole push you needed to carry on providing, helps. Recognising even the smallest of accomplishments is a contributor towards keeping your mind in a positive place. It allows you to move forward in terms of future blog plans and urges you to keep going.

Plan goals | being the forgetful person I am, I always have to jot down any random thoughts or ideas, as well as the captured inspiration I've found elsewhere. No matter whether they're single words or sentences, whether they're big or small, or don't make any sense to anyone but you - it all goes towards a list of subjects you can grab and paint a bigger picture with. With brainstorming and getting everything down on paper comes setting yourself goals and with every little new factor, you have an opportunity to work towards something different. Slow and steady wins the race, once you start with small aims, you can reach for the more advanced goals. Praising yourself when you study and learn, when you reach a milestone, are impressed with your photography, or even when a post goes down well will benefit your motivation and determination hugely. Celebrate and rewarding yourself at every hurdle is key for recognising your efforts.

Stick to what you love | there is no point blogging if you don't enjoy the topics you blog about. It's important to write about what you feel passionate about, not just jumping the bandwagon and writing about something mediocre because everyone else is. You can totally tell when someone's heart and soul isn't into a post which is why it's important to stick to your morals and interests. Pushing yourself towards a talking point that you're not sure of won't benefit you in the long run. Blogging is a way of expressing your personality and you can do this by following your genuineness which in turn will boost your ambition as a writer. Your readers will appreciate your authenticity and you'll start to appreciate yourself. 

Ask advice | it's easy to hold back in fear of acting cowardly but seeking help and advice can actually do you the world of good. If you need to ask questions regarding blog concerns or just general chatter to someone more expertised, then go ahead. It could be guidance from my favourite blogger, or from someone whom I've trusted for a long time like family and friends but whatever I choose, taking on and including their input tends to spur me on in promoting my blog content, It's also ideal to ask  your audience (no matter whether that's 50 readers or 5000) what they'd like to see and whether there's anything specific they'd like you to comprise. After-all, they are the ones listening to what you have to say and could even provide you with ideas you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Take a break | to avoid piling yourself with too much pressure, I think it's always important to take a break when you find it's getting too much and when you need to analyse what you need to differ in order for you to be happy in moving forward with your blog. I find getting a good night's rest and waking up feeling refreshed clears my head, gives me a new sense of direction and builds up my readiness to get cracking. Whether it's for one day, or even taking out a couple of weeks for yourself, if relaxing is what you need then make use of the freedom. I often find myself being afraid of disappointing if I don't blog for a while but most of the time it improves and contributes towards renewing my creative side. Coming back into it with an reinvigorated mindset could also equally be an advantage of how your blog comes across. Focusing on one element for a week or so would allow you to bring lots of exciting changes to your blog - and all for the better!

Accept failure | unfortunately, you're not going to go through the blogging journey without making a few mistakes here and there. Things aren't always going to run smoothly but that's what makes it so unique. It's living proof that if you're failing, you're doing something and acting wisely. With failure comes learning and with learning comes improving - it's all one big learning curve. Punishing yourself isn't the answer which is why you shouldn't be too hard on yourself and over scrutinize the situation. If something's not worked out how you wanted it to be, only time will tell until you know that was for the better because your current performance is the one that's thriving. Remember, the more you fail, the more you succeed.

Go with the flow | don't be unrealistic and set yourself a crazy schedule - take a laid back approach and go from there. It's great to plan continuously and consistently but telling yourself this is not a race, it is not a number game nor a competition, and you don't need specific elements to be deemed victorious is also essential. I often notice that once I get into writing a post, I can't stop and I find those posts written from scratch are not only which represent me best, but which seem to get the most traffic. It's the getting started which impacts the most and once you do that, you're on your way to staying focused!

What keeps you motivated? I'd love to know!

Bridie x
Share:

6 comments

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing :)

    Jen | enter my mac giveaway x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really long post but I totally love your points! <3 I do think I should be a little more laid-back with my approach to blogging, but I have been sticking to the topics that I know well about and that I enjoy. Really lovely post!

    THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this, I like your writing style too :)

    I went through a period where I just couldn't write posts, I couldn't think of ideas and I just really didn't want to be doing anything for it. It bugged me, because even though I wanted to work on it, I couldn't. I rushed some posts which stressed me out but then I thought, I need a break. After a few days I was fine and back to normal, sometimes it's good to take a break. Although that has taught me to write some back up posts!

    As to sticking to what you love, at the moment I am writing about things I love. But I feel as in I'm not going in the direction I want to and I'm having second thoughts about it, hopefully I'll get there soon!

    Neeny x

    p.s.sorry for rambling on :)

    neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get excited every time I get a comment on my blog, so yes I do celebrate every little achievement. It's a good tip I would say :) Stick to what you love regardless if you have loads of views or not, maybe one day it will pay off (I'm waiting for that moment myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really refreshing to read. Thanks Bridie x

    www.ohjanuary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this was so helpful! I've been blogging so consistently for a year but lately I have been feeling so eh in life and it has been really taking an impact on my blogging. I'm trying to give myself some slack - considering taking a little break to get back on track! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig