Friday 1 May 2015

Style: Representing Leeds in DP Dresses The Nation

*Skater Dress - C/O Dorothy Perkins | *Shoes - C/O Dorothy Perkins | Hat - Primark | Bag - Primark

Dorothy Perkins' latest campaign 'DP Dresses The Nation' started off as a quest to discover the nation's favourite dresses, finding out city by city which styles the fashionistas are wearing the most. With some commissioned research they discovered the diversity of individual must-wear dresses and gathered up 12 fashion bloggers to represent each chosen city. To be given the opportunity to take part and be one of those 12 is frankly bizarre (and amazing). When I received the email asking if I'd like to be the ambassador for my hometown to showcase the skater dress, I was unsurprisingly rather thrilled and couldn't wait to get planning a set of photos different from the usual, in one of my favourite locations!

Leeds is well known for its urban, typical busy city vibe but as much as I love the shopping and food life, I also appreciate those gems away from the city. When you've lived in the same city all your life you often get bored of the usual hyped places and struggle to see what the fuss is about. As I wanted to reach for the best to do a brand like Dorothy Perkins much justice, I chose a setting I've always loved to visit and after some brutal persuading to drag my brother down to the not particularly local area, I admired the monumental ruins and the history behind this eery but beautiful building. Not only is there plenty of architecture to view, there is also a chance to relax as around the abbey lays some wonderful parkland along the banks of the River Aire. I'm a sucker for some greenery as I think getting out there and valuing nature is the key to happiness (I promise I'm not 90). It was the perfect place to spend a sunny, spring day, even if the sun did leave me a little too over exposed (I admit I'm pale but that kind of white is inexpiable).

Matching the peaceful tone of the open air, I chose this laid back, basic with a hint of class, black (surprise surprise) high neck skater dress whilst browsing the DP dress collection. I felt like the all monochrome outfit added to the darkened atmosphere of knowing the Abbey has been standing since the 12th century and was the home to many Cistercians. In my eyes, skater dresses are always the most comfortable and simple choice. They are the sort of the dress that would keep you intact all day long, especially in a rushed city. What I love the most is how easy they are to style but how ideal they are for any occasion; no matter what colour or cut you choose, all you need is to change it up a little and accessorize. This is what caught my eye about this elegant black number. As it has the potential to be dressed up or down, it just screams out the staple purchase we all need in our wardrobes. Paired with some pointed flats, a jacket and a satchel or even some dramatic jewellery, a clutch and stilettos; you can make it your own. The way the dress defines your waist and enhances your silhouette whilst it makes it an all round winner that can be worn anytime. Keeping it simple and taking away the unwanted exaggerated attention, I styled the dress with some plain, stunning peep toe heels, my signature fedora and a dogtooth satchel to bring some pattern into this carefully colour blocked ensemble. 

I absolutely loved getting this piece together; just the thought alone of heading to a completely different environment was exciting so when I actually got down to photographing I felt so sophisticated and important. The only problem is, I feel like my bruised legs ruined the chance of appearing anything like how I felt. Oh, to be the non clumsy person in society. 

What's your favourite kind of go-to dress? You can see the rest of the surveyed cities and the lovely fashion bloggers' picks on the DP website and on the light box feature.

Bridie x

P.S. Happy May! (how is it May when Christmas seemed like last week?!). There's now 24 days left of my NARS giveaway.
Share:

5 comments

  1. Wow! This is such an amazing opportunity for you :-) Bet you're over the moon.
    Great post! Your pictures look lovely & that dress is amazing.
    Claire.x
    www.xclaireabella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really adore this dress! I love how it works with the hat and the makeup. It suits you nicely! Dorothy Perkins is amazing!

    THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you opted for&enjoyed reading your post,too!
    You look lovely! xx

    http://booksandmacarons.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful look and dress, it's so simple and seems easy to style. My go to dress is probably my black & white striped one, stripes can look good on anyone, anywhere haha. x
    eastofsiam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH, you look beautiful in this dress! :) What a lovely opportunity for you!

    Kayleigh xoxo
    www.veryberrycosmo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig