Monday 18 July 2016

Personal: things that made me happy in June


Hey hey, I'm back - well technically I flew home late at night a week today but haven't been able to get my blogging butt back into gear until a fresh Monday emerged. Partly because last week was a hectic but momentously brilliant week and the other half because I seem to always be lumbered with this post holiday dispirit where all I want to do is try my best to adjust to the below average temperature, sleep and eagerly observe my tanned skin to silently pray it stays put in this so called British weather (although with this supposed heatwave bracing, it seems I did in fact bring the sunshine home). I enjoyed my well needed break (probably too much if I'm honest) but am feeling all kinds of motivated to get back on track. With plenty of posts to plan for my upcoming blog schedule, some of which features around my most cherished time in the luxurious sunshine and some of which were photographed beforehand - what better time was there to mark down my monthly happiness? Especially when there's so much sadness in the world as of lately. These posts almost always start with my shock of how the year seems to be flying by but this time round I feel like I've been gone an entire full year when in reality it's only three weeks. As most of June was spent vacay prepping it didn't leave me much head space to extensively think about the highlights but as they say, it's always best to act on impulse... 

Birthdays | June is a busy month for birthdays, the main being mine on the 14th (without sounding egotistical in the slightest, ahem). As I get older, they certainly become less inviting and what used to be a huge celebratory occasion turns out to be a quiet sit down meal, one of many cute coffee shop visits and some quality family time. At the ripe age of 23, however, this is just what I acquire to develop inner warmth and happiness. It's the awkward age where you're torn between being completely relentless in fun or sensible in adulthood but venturing off to scram my face with food throughout the entire day? Well I don't think there's ever an age limit for that. The end of the month also marks the queen's birthday (aka my grandma). This year we were living it up in Spain but it didn't stop me hunting down the nearest florist and surprising her with a handmade bouquet whilst she sunbathed. Her genuine appreciation made trudging through the 30 degree heat well worthwhile. It's just nice to give back to a person so selfless and kind!

New friends | This seems to be a recurring theme on my monthly contentment and that's something I never thought I'd say. I've always found it difficult to keep a loyal set of friends through my youth and as I've reached my twenties I've just learnt to relish in my own company with an online support system to back me up - it's just become the norm. SO, when this field further grows and you find people you have so much in common with, who you can chat with about anything without it being weird, and start to wonder how an earth you ever lived without these gloriously diverse set of humans as having them around just feels so natural - it's bound to set you up with a smile for an entire period. Then when you finally meet them it gives the word mutual a whole different meaning which is a story for next month's round up; guaranteed!

Building my summer wardrobe | Most of June was spent overspending. There's no hidden agenda in there, it's just point blank truth and boy am I paying for it now (or in other words, trying to pay off the accounted bills of the high street shops). The low sum of money in my bank account isn't exactly a reason to be ecstatic but new clothes hanging beside each other and old ones been evacuated is. Shopping for a holiday is one of my most favourite things to do, it holds out hope for a continuous summer and refreshes my sartorial attitude - I love my darkened, minimal colours but there's nothing nicer than putting together outfits with an injection of essence to glam. I can't help but fall in love with the mid season sales either, they were a great influence in my inspiration (Zara, all eyes are on you).

Reading | I hate the fact I'm no longer the type of person to sit down and curl up with a book for a few hours of therapeutic chill. I can't even remember the last time I waved goodbye to the digital world, the sight of nothing but a computer/phone screen and swapped it for a more old school way of unwinding, imagining and connecting. I've really got into reading the amateur work lately - albeit it's still online and sports a few mistakes here and there but it's great to see the creations from regular people. Going away with a lack of wifi also gave me a reason to pull out a good book and relax as the rest drowned out around me - if anything I realised just how fast I can get through one book and just how much of an effect it can have. 

Pamper time | With a holiday comes me time and when I say me time I mean reviving my hair, paying a visit to the beautician and focusing on making myself look and feel as self-assured as possible. I always feel as though I've stepped up a gear when my appearance is to the standard I desire; as though I can conquer the world with new makeup, a bikini wax and blonde highlights. It probably sounds stupid (albeit it's never just about the outer shell) but esteem starts from within, which leads me safely on to the next point. 

Body confidence | I've spent way too long being hung up on becoming the best; only did I come to the conclusion that the ideal best just doesn't exist once I accepted myself and stopped comparing myself to the perfected stars of Instagram. In my mission to become fitter and healthier, I did develop a new found comfort with my body but I also - taking the struggles and tantrums and crying episodes into consideration - gave in to the ideology that my body is made up of the same genetics as every other woman. I'll never have a small bum or skinny thighs, my tiny waist and almost flat boobs will forever be out of proportion with the rest of me but you know what? I can still rock that bikini, I can look in the mirror and I can be damn smug about how hot I feel (even if it is just for the smallest moment).  

Animals | I've never been a big animal lover (I can almost hear the shocks from here) - it's not that I dislike them as such, it's just they're hard work when you can't even deal with yourself half the time, not to mention they need lots of attention and can smell your house out. It doesn't stop me admiring them from afar, however, and there's nothing like an adorable dog companion to boost your mood and take a shine to you whilst waiting for an appointment. I never knew I could be so perked up from a jump on the knee and a lick of the hand but this little fella did just that.

Being inventive | A wave of eagerness and aspiration hit me mid June, the random goal to reach out to the very top and strive with every inch of my mindset was probably because we hit the halfway mark of 2016, summer arrived (for a little while) and blog opportunities were flying left, right and centre and it gave me the strength to start thinking out of the box. My blog is a journey and it will sustain in doing so, even if I become a global hit (never gonna happen) so for now I'm enjoying my many ideas circulating and eventually implementing into my constitution. 

Ridding of the negativity | I'm sick and tired of  the hatred of today; from the devastating disasters and the senseless attacks, to the vendettas, the pure ignorant minds that fabricate excuses for nothing but bigotry, cruelness and disrespect and the constant tearing each other down. I don't even want to touch on the subject of the EU Ref that made up the majority of June - the destructive result and intolerant behaviour that followed, nor do I even want to give people so determined to set out to hurt others the time of day which is why I set myself a duty to concentrate on the optimism and the human faith. I even went all out to create a tick list of simple ways to be kinder and I've been following my own advice ever since.

What made you happy in the past month?

I hope you haven't missed me too much whilst I was away (kidding, obviously). Sending a huge thank you to all those who entered my three year blog giveaway, the winner was announced a few days back as my holiday upheaval calmed and I'm in the midst of posting the goodies out to the lucky winner as I speak! Man, it feels good to be back.

Bridie x


***

Like what you see? You may also enjoy reading Things That Made Me Happy In May or 23 Things I've Learned In 23 Years


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig