Sunday 15 March 2015

The Sunday Natter: A letter to my Mum


Dear Mum,

It's hard to put down in words just how much you mean to me but I thought I owed you a letter of gratitude. I never tell you enough just how amazing you are and what better day to show your importance than Mother's Day, one day of the year we have this special opportunity to give back to the one person who's given us the world.

I'm so lucky to share such an honest, close relationship with you. You're my mother, my confidant, my partner in impromptu activities and most of all, my best friend. We laugh together, cry together, occasionally argue like cat and dog, but have now learnt to deal with each other's antics. You're the one I know will always be there when I need a shoulder to cry on, when I need a reality check, and when I have a moment of madness. You have the first instinct, can always tell when the wrong decision has been made and no matter what the situation, you're always right. After all, Mum knows best. 

You are the strongest woman I know. You've birthed me, cared for me, taught me life values; you've stayed up till the early hours comforting me, brought me breakfast in bed when I'm sick (and even when I'm not sick), been my source of advice and listened, to whatever concerns or general conversation we've brought upon you. You understand and lend me a hand. You've encouraged me to reach my dreams. You've allowed me to grow up without the stigmatic pressure. You told me the truth yet let me be and helped me find myself, whilst accepting every decision made. Thank you for always believing in me and being by my side through the good times and the bad. 

Your constant and continued support is the reason I am who I am today. Everything you do is for us. You've worked to provide us with everything we need, as well as the treats we sometimes didn't deserve, even if that meant sacrificing your own needs. I'm sorry for the bratty behaviour and non-listening attitude we've trampled you with over the years. There's times I've been a total brat yet you still chose to forgive me and love me eternally. The stress, the worries, the sleepless nights, I know you only shout because you care. You tell me I won't know how it feels until I have my own children and I say, if I could be half the mum you are when I become a mother, then I'd be happy.

For the past 12 years, you've taken on the role of being my mum and my dad and you've still managed to raise us both with dignity and respect. It can't have been easy losing your husband, dealing with the negative effects of grief, and on top of that coping with my illnesses and the loss of your own dad. Life has been difficult, there's been struggles and collapses and there have been times we've both felt like giving up. It can't have been easy, it has been hard to deal with but you did it and we've all come through the tough problems because of you. You've been with me every step of the way. You've held it together for us, you placed the broken pieces back in its jigsaw to make sure we were complete. You've always made me feel needed and have always been there to remind me of my worth. You're a constant source of inspiration and motivation, and your devoted essence alone makes me a wiser, stronger, better person. All it takes is one of your hugs and one of our late night chats to make everything okay again. 

There's nothing that makes me prouder than to call you my mum. Your unconditional love and friendship is irreplaceable. The only person I truly trust in life is you and I'm so blessed to have you. You're one of a kind, my rock, my number one, and my kick in the teeth when I require it. I hope you know I'll always be there by your side. Even when you're old and grey, I'll join you in a joint mobility scooter and we'll go shopping, bust some moves, eat till we pop, and swoon over the newest blue eyed, dark haired a-list celeb. 

Thank you for being you. Your beautiful heart has meant we've had many treasures and cherished memories to keep locked safe forever and spending every living day in your presence means those memories will just keep on developing.

I love you, Mum. Always.


Happy Mother's Day to all the beloved Mum's out there! 

Bridie x
Share:

2 comments

  1. What a nice post :)

    Check out my River Island competition at www.blomfieldmc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!)
    Fell in love with your blog!

    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig