Saturday 11 June 2016

Healthy Homemade Granola Bake



It's not often I bake, in fact it can be said that i'm not all that skilled in the kitchen department but changing my eating habits for the long term has spurred me on to develop a fresh perspective, a new attitude towards the way I replenish my body and a creative approach to the grub I devour. Over the past few months I've been taking inspiration, following recipes and implementing them into my own diet. That means there's nothing original (because I'm clearly not talented enough for that) but I've found out I do enjoy cooking up a treat and I'd love to share with anyone who's looking for an optional graze.

Despite dedicating my daily routine to healthy eating, breaking up the vitamins, the minerals and the macros to ensure I'm digesting the beneficial balanced amount, I still have cravings. It's 100% normal and I think anyone who says otherwise must be holding on to a lie that will only crumble (unavoidable pun). My sweet tooth has calmed but it chooses its moments to empower my thoughts and level of resistance and it takes me all my time to snap out of the cloud of donuts and cupcakes - which is why I'm now pre-preparing ready made snacks I know won't harm my waistline or form this sense of guilt upon my self-deprecating mind.

Granola is a great source of energy, an oaty fix that fills you up whether that be morning or late night - but store bought bars or cereal are often packed with sugar and awful additives which takes away the delectation. This baked dish which can be cut into squares or left to pick as you please (in my case it was the latter as my first attempt didn't fully form, whoops) is deliciously tasty, compacting all flavours of natural ingredients with that nutritious fix. This recipe makes the perfect mid day snack to munch on and to cure any desire to stuff your face. 

Ingredients:
2 cups (170g) rolled oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut 
35g walnuts
1/2 cup natural honey
2 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract/flavouring
Juice of 1/2 large orange
1/8 tsp salt
Cooking spray/light oil

What you'll need:
Square baking dish
Baking tray
Baking paper (or foil and oil if you have none)
Medium mixing bowl
Medium saucepan
Large knife
Spoon

Method:
Step one | Preheat oven to 180°C or Gas 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper or an optional choice - silver foil and lightly greased olive oil on top.
Step two | Place the oats, coconut, walnuts and the juiced orange into a medium mixing bowl and blend until well combined. Transfer the now slightly tacky oat mix over to the prepared baking tray and toast in the oven for around ten minutes until subtly browned.
Step three | Whilst the mix is baking, heat the honey, almond butter, vanilla extract and smidgen of salt in the saucepan over low heat and stir continuously until smoothly textured. Once both done (it shouldn't take long to heat through the liquid), place the honey mixture and the oat mixture back into the bowl and whisk well until until entirely integrated. 
Step four | Prepare your square baking dish with cooking spray or a brush of oil and pour in the thickened granola mixture. Use the back of a spoon to press the mix wholly and ensure it is evenly spread out to every corner (the finished product should be of a golden crisp). Allow to cool before cutting up; serve up, enjoy and save the leftover segments in an airtight container!

It's as simple as that! Do let me know if you try out this recipe, whether you've made anything similar previously and if you'd like me to welcome more baking and cooking type posts on my blog. It's something I'd certainly be willing to work on!

PS. Don't forget to enter my 3 year blog beauty giveaway!

Bridie x


***

Like what you see? You may also enjoy reading Three Pancake Recipes or Cielo Blanco Leeds: The New Menu Launch

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig