Monday 6 June 2016

Personal: things that made me happy in May


Another month gone by, another jitter within my uneasy system reacting to how frighteningly fast this year is speeding by (I'm 23 this month and I'm still not adapting to this accumulative adult life) and hey, would you look at that - a proper I-can-see-blue-sky-amongst-the-cloud summer appears to be finally on its way. June is always guaranteed to be a great month purely because it's my birthday month, and usually because a holiday abroad is just around the corner. This year it's substantially both and the majority of my time schedule starting from now up until the 26th will include panic planning, bikini body dreaming and avoiding as much cake as possible which means there's new upheaval among me but there's also a chance for me to stew on the previous month of May and that I shall do...

Blog birthdays | The end of May marks my blog anniversary and every year my expressive gratitude increases. I made it three years - albeit with some tearing of the hair, late nights, a fluctuating peak and constant analogy of my achievements - but I reached this memorable target with so many highs and continued support along the way, none the less. Unfortunately I seem to have lost my mojo upon the following week (which is typical) but which is also all part of the developing journey on this bumpy blogger ride that I take in my stride. Every step is a chance for me to feel  a burst of pride regarding my fulfilment of sticking this hobby turned passion out for the long run and there's nothing I love more than the flowing of fresh ideas which I'm sure will naturally show as my rut is rebooted. (Also, don't forget about my current giveaway in aid of my blogerversary!).

Celebrity meetings  | I thought I'd said goodbye to the fangirl days I wallowed in all those years back but it seems those squealing notions make their way to the forefront every once in a while (okay, more than just once or twice, it's admittedly in my blood and I aren't even the slightest bit regretful). I've always enjoyed the satisfying buzz of meeting a celeb - as weird as that sounds, the adrenaline and awkward congregations spark a warmth that radiates in my cheesy portrayed teenage grin. May saw me heading off on a trip to Sheffield with my newly 12 year old cousin on the day of her birthday to pay my youthful hardcore crush a visit during his HMV single signing. I don't think I've ever stood in a queue of mostly excited girls for so long in my life but when I finally reached the front I was reminded why I stuck to supporting my favourite artists and truthfully, always will. Nathan (Sykes, that is - former boyband member of whom I dedicated four years of my life to) was an angel as per, we chatted, we selfie'd, I shied even after running through the marked conversation in my mind a million times and it felt like nothing had ever changed. My cousin was elated with the attention so the bonus of having a girly bonding session and being able to take her somewhere special on her birthday was another reason to be thrilled. AND I even got a tweet back on the way home whilst attempting to run for the train - very breathlessly-eventful indeed.  

Freedom from the mind | If you haven't read my most intimate, raw and personal story, I recommend you give yourself a timely preparation of at least half an hour to dig your way through my ramblings, and if you have read it - I can't thank you enough for reassuring me people can be kind, considerate and genuinely sincere towards those problems that often eat away at your health. I can't tell you how much of a relief it felt to throw this huge, hidden weight from my shoulders, typing in divided sections over a period of three days was strangely therapeutic - if not emotional - and although my entire identity was exposed, it was a breath of fresh air, to open my mind and allow myself to find my inner peace was cleansing to the soul and I feel like a new person with this peeled layer. I hesitated the revelation but I'm so glad I went ahead - not only for my own sake, but for the understanding and awareness of others too.


Press dinners | Food is ultimately an open invitation to my happiness and surprisingly, now I've found my inner healthy streak, not the greasy takeaway and cream doughnut kind (although if they were presented to me on a plate I'm not quite sure I'd be able to resist). So, when food comes hand in hand with an exclusive blogging event, how could I not be delighted? Mid May I made my way to the Malmaison (tongue twister alert) in Leeds City Centre to be greeted with the Salon Success team and lots of lovely local bloggers for a Press Dinner; a catch up, an informative run through the latest luxury Paul Mitchell hair products, an absolutely amazing goodie bag to go home with, as well as a food baby of a treat to the usual plain diet and my rediscovery for my acute sweet tooth - and what a lovely few hours it was!

Friendships | I've never been the sort of person to accumulate a whole lot of loyal friends that I can phone up for a chat or a late night drive. In fact, truth be told, I don't have that many friends in real life at all. This is why when on the rare occasion I'm invited out or included in a close knit circle of people, I'm thankful to be thought about, acknowledged and even communicated with. This includes friendships formed through blogging, an evening spent munching on too many crisps and too much cheese with some gossiping and bonding, as well as forming other random and unexpected friendships through mutual interests. They all count in leaving me with a smile on my face.

Outfit planning | My favourite thing about an upcoming holiday and a season change? Visualising the latest trends, collecting inspiration, going on a shopping spree and mapping out outfits for those beach trips, nights out and casual smart occasions. The summer months give me an opportunity to reclaim my style and although for my tastes, it costs an arm and leg (something I'm short of, anyway) I absolutely love thinking out of the box and preparing my overloaded suitcase for some creative prepping. The displaying of my outfits is my favourite aspect of my blog and instagram so I can't wait to get photo heavy whilst soaking up the sun! 

Group hugs | Just a little stand out moment but the one that touched a tender nerve in the heartfelt family love I hold. It was my second cousin's 6th birthday and if her welcoming, aggressive hug and adorably cheeky grin wasn't enough to flip reverse my mood as soon as I stepped through the front door, the group hug that followed the opening of presents sure gravitated my blessing. Both brother and sister (aged 4 and 6) gathered the family together and insisted we all huddle together in a tight hug; through giggles and purity, I took a few seconds out of the brief encounter to appreciate just how lucky I was because I truly believe out of everything going on in the world, this is what's important. 

Emmerdale won best soap!! | I just had to include this as a notable rejoicing moment because not only is my admiration for this soap growing each day but this markable event was a first time win in an 18 year history - and we made it happen. I'm guessing nobody is as much as an emotionally invested soap addict as I am so you're probably thinking 'what on earth' but as I've grown up with this programme, not only on TV but filmed pretty much around the corner with the celebration and illustration of Yorkshire's nature I felt like a proud, glowing mum on her child's first day of school. Make of that as you wish. 

What significant or even insignificant moments made you happy last month?

Bridie x


***

Like what you see? You may also enjoy reading Things That Made Me Happy In April or Paul Mitchell's Ultimate Big Night Out


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig