Sunday 1 September 2013

August favourites

I can't believe it's September already! Does anyone have any idea where this year has gone? With the X Factor back it means I'm officially starting my countdown to Christmas and with the school holidays more or less over and done with, it means a fresh start is desired all round. I used to love the build up of going back to school, with the whole new uniform/outfits, and the excitement of purchasing a spanking brand new pencil case, a lunchbox and a school bag (which more than likely ended up wrecked by the end of the year) but unfortunately I'm too old to receive the simple joy from pleasing purchases like that so instead I like to think a new month means new products to try out.

I wanted to share a few of my monthly favourites with you because basically since I started blogging, I have enjoyed experimenting with different products I have read up on to see for myself if they truly do work and are worth the hype. Sometimes this is a bad thing, sometimes it's good and I agree with the fact it is highly debatable as I find myself flying past the shelves at drugstores and buying items I don't even need, oops.




LOreal Paris Skin Perfection 3-in-1 Purifying Micellar Solution: First of all I'm going to express my opinion on the aforementioned L'Oreal 3-in-1 Purifying Solution. If you haven't heard of this, I think you must have been hiding in an abandoned shelter somewhere (ha ha) as over the months of July and August it is all I have seen. I decided I must try this out and what a treat it's been! I'm so glad I bought it, and I certainly agree with what most bloggers have been saying. Personally, I haven't ever tried Bioderma so I can't compare the two but from using this product I have definitely noticed how cleaner and fresher my skin feels when I remove my makeup. It takes off every last inch in just one smudge across the face and you don't even have to put any force into the elimination of your daily makeup so that's an extra benefit, no aggressive rubbing to cause irritation to the skin. I even use it to remove the unwanted dirt and grime which decides to appear on my skin when I'm not wearing any makeup and it just makes me feel pure (hence the name). I WILL be repurchasing when mine runs out and as you can see it is starting to go down. Just a little tip, there is still an offer on this at Morrisons which lasts until the 15th September so if you're thinking about trying it out, I'd head there as soon as possible!




Garnier Moisture Match in Shine Be Gone: Next on the list is this fabulous product which again is one of the most popular and most raved about at the moment. Garnier have this great test on their website to help you choose and find out which type is most suitable for you and your skin. Before I jumped into buying one of the moisturizers (which I often tend to do and then realise I could have done with a different one) I took the short test and found it very useful. The result was the 'Shine Be Gone for Combination to Oily Skin' which I almost could have guessed because my complexion is extremely oily. On first use of this product I noticed a difference to how my skin felt and looked. My pores were less visible, my skin was smoother, and for the first time in a long time I'd woken up with a refreshed face, not a greasy one. Straight away I knew this was going to be the product for me, not only does it smell heavenly but it improves the texture of my face. I now use it in my daily skincare routine and apply a small amount before I go to bed and in the morning before I put my makeup on. The hydration lasts all day and even makes it easier for me to put on my foundation because of the matte finish. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who suffers with oily skin. The main perk is the oil free reducing the appearance of that annoying shiny skin which you try so hard to get rid of but then bounces back again haunting you. With this, I've found it really does seem to hold the shine off.



Simple Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel: I've always loved Simple products since I was a younger teenager and I suffered with bad skin more than I do now. I think they do exactly as they say and are well, simple and delicate on the skin. The one thing I've never gotten round to trying however, are their face washes. I've tried various other brands over the last few months but this has to be one of my favourites. It squeezes out as a soapy formula but it is much more lighter than actual soap itself. I use it once I have removed my makeup just to give my skin that extra bounce and it certainly does that. My skin feels alive and healthy and adds to the cleanliness. I only picked a small tube up from Primark but I think I will definitely be repurchasing in a bigger size when this one has finished.




Victoria's Secret Coconut Passion Fragrance Mist: Whilst in America I was introduced to Victoria's Secret for the first time. The store was huge and I must have been looking round for a good half an hour being my usual indecisive self but there was just SO much to choose from. There were also so many offers on such as 3 for 2 and a certain number of products for a set price etc so I couldn't resist. In the end I picked up this and two other body lotions for a cheaper price. The words 'coconut and vanilla' hit me straight away as they are my most prized scents and by god, am I glad I went for this body mist. It smells absolutely divine! I overdo it when I spray myself on a morning because the smell is so gorgeous and you don't even have to top it up that much. Since buying this all I hear is 'You smell like coconut!' from my family and I'm glad, because it shows it's well detected even if you can't smell it yourself once it's settled in (that shows its good, right?) I'm so glad a Victoria's Secret is currently being built in my area so I can buy another once I run out but I don't think I will need to yet as the bottles are big enough to last you a while and they are well worth it.



Victoria's Secret Strawberries and Champagne Hand & Body Cream: This is the most I've ever paid for a body lotion because I have to admit I slack in the 'applying body cream daily' pattern and often have zero energy to apply body cream/butter/lotion all over after I have a shower and luckily, my skin often hydrates itself and doesn't get dry. Since purchasing this in America (which is just one of the body lotions, I haven't used the other yet) I have only used this once but it definitely ensures the hydration and is one of the most unique smelling creams ever! I am in love with the sensual scent, it smells good enough to eat. I like to save products like this for those 'special' times (I'm sad, I know) but I don't want to waste it so it shall be used mainly for when I go out, go on holiday or just fancy a pampering day. If one thing is for sure though, it's that it enriches and softens your skin and once again the smell was highly distinctive. It made me feel all cheery and renovated and that's why it must be saved for best.




Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in True Ivory: I'd just like to thank the blogging/beauty community for highlighting this product as one of the best high street foundations out there. I've FINALLY found one cheap enough and virtuous enough for my peculiar skin, not to mention I find the shapely, glass packaging really appealing. The shade True Ivory matches my tone perfectly, it makes my skin glow and if skin could be happy, it would most definitely be the reason for it. It does exactly as it says on the tin and I could see from first usage that my skin was instantly reawakened, applying it was flawless and no trouble at all as it blends in so sleek and smoothly. I'd say the coverage is medium but that suits me fine as it is so light and comfortable that it doesn't even feel like you are wearing any foundation. Since consuming this I've also noticed it helps with the moisture of my skin but without adding shine. I don't think I'll ever go back to previous foundations I have used and scrapped as everything I've been looking for is right here in this Rimmel product.


MAC Sheertone Blush in Pinch O' Peach: I'm so fussy with blusher, it can't be too dark so it looks silly and unnatural on my pale complexion but it can't be too light so you can't see it at all. After roaming round duty free in Manchester Airport debating whether or not to buy a MAC blush, my darling Grandma offered to buy me one as my much more affordable MUA blush had all broken and I had to chuck it away. This blush is in much more of a sturdy packaging, thank god and you can tell the difference in the quality of MAC makeup, it's a higher standard which is why I love it so much (if only I was richer). At first look the blush looked much darker than the tester I tried out but the assistant persuaded me it doesn't do it much justice and when on the skin, it looks lovely. She was correct, this is the best blush I've had. I'm half and half about trying out the cream blush as I think it might look a bit too much for my skin type so I prefer powdered blush. Applying just one dab of this to finish off my look once I've done my makeup is enough for me to come out glowing and rosy cheeked, but not the over the top rosy cheeked, the fresh, porcelain rosy cheeked. The pigmentation is fabulous and I'd definitely recommend to those who don't have an ultra pale skin tone or an ultra tanned skin tone, just one that sits nicely in-between.

Barry M Sequin Nail Effects in snp3: Last but not least it's this sparkly product. I always find myself coming back to Barry M nail varnishes as I think their variety of colours matches my taste and it seems to last longer than other nail polishes. I originally bought this for my holiday to Florida but never got round to using it but since then I have used it a couple of times over a light colour on my nails and I think the effect looks so pretty as it's not just one set colour, it's a mixture of multicoloured sequins. The only downside is you have to be careful not to knock them once you have painted them as it takes a good 5-10 minutes to dry efficiently and with me using it as a top coat, it does look textured so if you don't like it like that, it's not for you. However, it's fun and girly and reminds me of cupcakes when painted over pink. I am hoping to try out the other two colours to see if I enjoy experimenting with them as much as I do this.

So that's that, my first monthly favourites post out of the way. Has anyone tried any of the products I mentioned? If so, what do you think? I'd love to hear more about if others feel/felt the same and I hope you all had a brilliant August and a relaxing one at that as I'm sure September is bound to be a busier month. It always is!


Lots of love...




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to take an interest and comment on my page. I read and appreciate every single one of them! And if you like the blog you stumbled across, you're very welcome to stay...

© the same old chic | fashion, beauty and lifestyle by bridie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig